Friday, August 3, 2007

Tiger Eyes by Judy Blume

tiger-eyes.jpgTiger Eyes by Judy Blume

Genre: Juvenile Fiction

Publication Date: 1981

Recommended Age Group: 14 and Up

Summary: This is a touching and emotional story about Davey Wexler and her path to cope with the untimely death of her father. The book begins with Davey getting ready for the funeral and not being able to find shoes. When she gets there she manages not to cry and for days and months after she talks about it as little as possible. Her father was murdered in a holdup in the family’s 7-Eleven store. Davey was there when he died and could not save his life. She and her mother and younger brother struggle to deal with the loss and then they move to New Mexico to live with family while they piece their lives back together. Davey goes for long rides on her bike to get away from the family and deal with her grief, it is on one of these rides that she meets Wolf. Wolf is a young man who is also dealing with the loss of a father, but his is still alive he is dying slowing in a hospital. Davey volunteers in a hospital and ends up caring for Wolf’s father and becomes one of his good friends. In the end Davey and the rest of her family conquer the grief and they are able to go back to Atlantic City and get a part of their lives back. They are never the same but they learn how to cope and to be there for each other when it really matters.

Personal Notes: I read this a few months after the untimely death of my own father and found it to be quite accurate and touching. I remember thinking many of the same things that Davey does and wondering how we were all going to get along without him. After the funeral scene this book was a great comfort to me. It helped me deal with my grief and even though Davey was a fictional character it reminded me that I’m not alone in this loss. This is a heartfelt and powerfully moving book. Judy Blume captures the pain of loss but also the power to move ahead and come out stronger.

17 comments:

  1. i hate this book this is a disasterrrrrrrrrrr
    the people that read this comment plzzzzzzz
    dont read this garbige

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book was amazing. It was really addicting and very well written. I could relate to it and at points i cried. Way to go Judy Blume!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this book is the best book it will always be my favorite i will always love this book!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ugh i need more info!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i cried at the end
    its such a wonderful ,sad book

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg i cried :'( it was so sad during so many emotional parts :) lol
    it wasn't the best book but it did have a good moral

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book is awesome. when i was reading it i could feel davey's depression.:(

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book is one of the best books ever! I have never cried in a book that I read before. If you have ever lost a loved one, this book really depicts how you feel. I really connected with this book. It was great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i hate this book i must read it in school. the book is a disaster

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow idk y i read this i felt way bad for Davey and it made me sad but a great bool

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi bri bri guess who??? this is a wierd class i dnt like it we should drop it next semester :P GREAT BOOK READ IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just got done with a book report on this book, it's AMAZING.
    she is my all time favorite author. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I dont care wat u other people think about this book but it is a good book to read.. so i edvise all teens to read this book becuase it has drama, sadness and love mix all in 217 pages.

    ReplyDelete
  14. the book was amazing the people that put comments on here begging people not to read it are just plain rude!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. thiis book iiszz boriinG ` iim not the sensetiive partt . sooo alll dii likkle sadd parttss really juSz borre me, iim beiing forcd to read dhiiSz fuhh h.s.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I read this book in one day just because we discussed it briefly in class. Just a little known fact: Tiger Eyes is a banned book. Google it! Anyways, I liked the moral of the story, but it wasn't my favorite book. I liked how Judy Blume was able 2 capture the essence of a teenagers mind & thoughts.

    ReplyDelete