Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

number-the-stars.jpgNumber the Stars by Lois Lowry

Genre: Juvenile Fiction

Published in 1989

Recommended Age Group: 10 and Up

Summary: Number the Stars, a Newbery medal winner, is set in Denmark in 1943. The main character Annemarie Johansen is not a Jew but her best friend Ellen Rosen is. In the beginning of the story the Nazis had come into Denmark but they weren’t actually doing anything. As the story progresses so do the Nazis in their discrimination. People go into hiding and businesses close. Ellen’s parents have to run and leave her behind where she pretends to be Annemarie’s sister, taking the place of one who died. They are almost discovered and decide to flee to the coast where fishermen are helping Jews out of the country in secret places aboard their boats. The Nazis use dogs to help locate those secret places but the fisherman have found a secret weapon against the dogs. During the escape to the boats a man drops the secret weapon and Annemarie risks everything to run and return it before the Nazis discover those in hiding.

Personal Notes: I’ve been wanting to read this one for some time but did not own it. It was worth the wait and even though I expected it to be great it was much better than I expected. The story line was new and different from other WWII fiction I’ve read. It is set in Denmark and is from the perspective of a non-Jew. A great read, entertaining, and enlightening.

6 comments:

  1. I have read the book, it's great! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Yeah !Denmark is my passion! I have read that book and it's become my FAVOURITE book.
    it's entirely my type and it's based on true stuff too.

    I STRONGLY suggest this book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The book is OK.The begging is bad but the end is better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read this book and this book is very interesting.
    Now I don't see the world like before...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Denmark was a dark dark place in tje 20 centrey with candle light shining through the windows and soilders taking peoples buttter

    ReplyDelete
  6. in class i read this book and it was wonderful

    ReplyDelete